Reports to: Program Manager
Viral pandemics are one of the greatest risks to humanity. Despite taking giant leaps in technology and science, we are more vulnerable today than we were 100 years ago. From Ebola to COVID-19, pandemics have underscored the need for a systematic way of detecting and tracking outbreaks of many common and fatal infectious diseases. The necessary diagnostic tests either do not exist or are not available where the need is greatest — in the communities of lower-income countries, particularly those in West and Central Africa, which suffer continuously from a lack of diagnostic capacity. As a result, millions of infectious disease cases remain unidentified and uncontained, and outbreaks are only detected once so many people have become ill that the problem cannot be ignored — typically much too late to stop an epidemic.
To address this gap, our team is building and deploying Sentinel: a pandemic preemption system that detects viral threats in real-time and by way of checkups in rural clinics, allowing us to stop infectious diseases before they spread. This initiative has the potential to transform the world’s ability to detect viruses that cause outbreaks, radically improve the speed at which health authorities can respond, and significantly expand the geographic area covered by outbreak surveillance. This concept was first articulated through and largely funded by the Audacious Project, a collaborative approach to funding big ideas with the potential to create change at a thrilling scale.
In addition to the Sentinel, the African Center of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID) conducts a myriad of clinical and laboratory research studies at each of our project sites, including several studies on the characterization of acute febrile illness and respiratory illness, the incidence of viral haemorrhagic fevers including Lassa, and surveillance of zoonotic diseases. Some of these studies involve the enrolment and active follow-up of research participants.
The Data Manager will be experienced and have the ability to oversee the development and use of data systems. This individual will discover efficient ways to organize, store and analyse data with attention to security and confidentiality.
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of databases and data analysis procedures. You will also be tech-savvy and possess excellent troubleshooting skills.
This individual will have the ability to communicate effectively, work well in a team setting.
Main duties / key responsibilities:
- Create and enforce policies and procedures for effective data management.
- Formulate techniques for quality data collection to ensure adequacy, accuracy and legitimacy of data.
- Devise and implement efficient and secure procedures for data handling and analysis with attention to all technical aspects.
- Establish rules and procedures for data sharing with upper management, external stakeholders etc.
- Support others in the daily use of data systems and ensure adherence to organization standards.
- Assist with reports and data extraction when needed.
- Monitor and analyze information and data systems and evaluate their performance to discover ways of enhancing them (new technologies, upgrades etc.).
- Ensure digital databases and archives are protected from security breaches and data losses.
- Troubleshoot data-related problems and authorize maintenance or modifications.
- Create rules and procedures for data sharing.
- Oversee and manage data entry clerks in the daily use of data systems.
- Regularly monitor and evaluate information and data systems that could affect analytical results.
- Assess system performance and make recommendations for software, hardware, and data storage improvements.
- Manage all incoming data files.
- Continually develop data management strategies.
- Assist with recognizing and upholding digital security systems to protect delicate information.
- University degree in a relevant field.
- Advanced Degree (MSc.) in a relevant field, preferred.
- A minimum of 3+ years’ experience in data management or analysis.
- Excellent understanding of data administration and management functions (collection, analysis, distribution etc.).
- Familiarity with modern database and information system technologies.
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Access, Word etc.).
- An analytical mind set with problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Ability to decipher and organize large amounts of data.
- Ability to translate complex problems clearly and in nontechnical terms.
- Must have the ability to pay great attention to detail.
- Must have the ability to interact with an interdisciplinary group including international collaborators, global health researchers, research scientists, and data analysts.
- High level of initiative and motivation; ability to work independently and with a team.
- Ability to think creatively to solve problems.
- Experience with REDCap, CommCare, and/or DHIS2 is a plus.
- Experience in global health or genomics preferred, but not required.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a two-page resume and a one-page cover letter, explaining their suitability for the position in a single pdf document titled with full name in a mail with ‘Data Manager Application’ as its subject to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is 19 August 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.