Reports to: Center Director
Location(s): Redeemer’s University, Ede, Osun State, Nigeria (on-site)
The African Centre of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID), based at Redeemer’s University Nigeria, is driving biomedical innovation at the leading edge of pathogen surveillance, diagnostics, and outbreak response. Established in 2014 by the World Bank Africa Centres of Excellence (ACE) program and supported by the Human Heredity and Health in Africa (H3Africa) consortium, the ACEGID platform is building genomics pipelines, advancing our understanding of microbial threats, and training the next generation of African scientists. We are seeking a motivated professional with outstanding management skills and a passion for global health to help lead an international research effort crossing the boundaries of science, education, and global health on genomic surveillance in West Africa.
The Project Manager will manage multifaceted clinical and genomics research projects and staff located across clinical and research institutions in Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Senegal, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The Project Manager will travel regularly to oversee research activities at national and regional collaborating centers including General Hospital Ikorodu (Lagos), Federal University Teaching Hospital Abakaliki (Ebonyi state), Federal Medical Centre - Owo (Ondo state), and Redeemer’s University (Osun state) in Nigeria, Kenema Government Hospital in Kenema, Sierra Leone and Universite Cheikh Anta Diop in Dakar, Senegal. ACEGID Project Sites Map and other African countries.
The Project Manager must be an ambitious, detail-oriented problem solver who can efficiently manage people, projects, budgets, and ethical approvals. Candidates should be familiar working with large, complex data sets compiled across different data platforms. Comfort navigating complicated issues such as conducting multi-site human subjects research will be a strong advantage. Ideal candidates will also have proficiency in optimizing workflows with many moving parts, such as managing samples across their life cycle from collection to processing to molecular analysis to longterm cryopreservation. The job requires adherence to the project’s vision, meticulous attention to detail, and the ability to build and maintain good long-distance relationships that span many cultures. Ideal candidates will be knowledgeable in human subject research.
Works with project stakeholders to document and facilitate understanding of project plans that include:
- Goals related to project scope, quality, timeline, and cost
- Anticipated obstacles and implementation strategies
- Defined roles and responsibilities for all key personnel;
- Detailed plans for monitoring and reporting progress
Works in collaboration with partners at all partner sites to ensure timely completion of project milestones:
- Plan and track logistics for performance of studies
- Actively work with collaborators to improve project infrastructure and management
- Prepare, submit, and keep up-to-date all IRB/MTA/DUA approvals for projects
- Oversee and keep up-to-date lab safety and human subjects certifications for research study staff
- Oversee sample and data management and other project documentation
- Manage multi-million dollar organization budgets from multiple project funding sources
- Monitor procurement and maintain financial oversight of domestic and international spending
- Prepare proposals, reports and quarterly and annual review materials for funding agencies and collaborators.
Complete other tasks as required
- Advanced degree such as MBA, MPH, MSc, PhD required. MBBS/MBChB or MD preferred
- 3-5 years of relevant management experience
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and monitor projects
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have the ability to interact with an interdisciplinary group including international collaborators, global health researchers, research scientists, and data analysts
- Experience in global health or genetics desired
- Experience in managing funder/sponsor relations desired
- Formal training in project management or management desired
- This position will be based at Redeemer’s University, Ede, Osun, Nigeria
- Domestic and international travel will be required according to programmatic needs
- There is a 3 year minimum commitment for this position
Please send a cover letter, resume, and copies of relevant credentials to email@example.com